Unique furniture – Decorating with Flair
Furniture is essential to every home – not only to make life comfortable but to dress up a home as well. Furniture is a way to express one’s individuality as well – this can be done on a budget too. With a little time and effort, it is possible to find the right pieces to make a home truly unique.
Unique furniture comes in a variety of styles – it doesn’t necessarily have to be old either to help people create a comfortable space in a way that reflects their style. There are quite a few furniture resale shops opening up in different cities – another way to be an eco-friendly consumer and reusing old furniture. When shopping around for furniture, check out estate sales, auctions, flea markets and regular furniture stores as there may be unique and unusual pieces to be found at a bargain. Here are a few tips to help people find what they are looking for.
• Checking out sources: There are a lot more vintage and resale stores to be found – one has to just find them. It is recommended that people make frequent trips so that they can find what they want. Making friends with salespeople is a good idea as well as they will be able to provide information on new pieces.
• Gently used pieces: Look for this kind of furniture as these tend to last longer than well used stuff. Quite a few people take their unwanted furniture (especially when they are remodeling) to resale/consignment stores.
• Look for Sturdy pieces: A well-made piece is pretty distinguishable from a cheaper one – check to see if drawers slide out easily and also if upholstered furniture has a good frame.
• Lesser Known Brands: Not everyone can afford to buy brand name furniture – there are many manufacturers offering comparable pieces at a fraction of the price. Check it out thoroughly and enjoy your purchase for a long time.
• Quality: Quite a few old pieces use tried and tested techniques to build furniture – make sure that the materials used are of good quality.
• Surface Defects: Don’t let scratches and a few other dings in the furniture scare you – there are good furniture repair shops which can help to fix minor problems.
• Using Defects for a good Price: If you like a piece well enough, there may be room for negotiation. The cost of fixing it shouldn’t be so high as to make buying the piece way too expensive.
• Size: Make sure that the furniture will fit into the space you have in mind. There is no way to get an idea of the scale until specific measurements are taken along – it doesn’t make sense to invest large amounts in unusable furniture.
Some pieces like tables and armoires can be used in different parts of the house for good effect, creating a unique style. Don’t be afraid to experiment – after all, the idea is to play around and use furniture to create a cozy space.